Hotlines & Websites

Note: If you would like a referral to a Co-Parenting Coach, please call or text Joan at (512) 963-0163.

To Report Child Abuse and Domestic Violence:

  • Texas Abuse Hotline: 1-800-252-5400 (24-hours, 7 days/week, toll-free)
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE

For Help with Substance Abuse – Treatment and Prevention:

  • Call 1-877-966-3784 for immediate and confidential help. (24-hours, 7 days/week. Toll-free). Partnership for a Drug-Free Texas.

To Locate Social Services in Your Community (food pantry, rent assistance, counseling, support groups, child-care, etc.):

  • Finding Help in Texas — call 2-1-1 on your telephone to speak with an information specialist to find social services in your local community such as child care, counseling, after-school programs, and assistance with rent, utilities, and food.
  • — is the official State of Texas website. This government portal provides a wide array of online services and links. To find out about a particular family service or topic, use the online search function, or follow the Health and Family Services link. The site is available in English and Spanish.
  • The Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS)— is the state government agency charged with protecting children and elderly and disabled adults from abuse and neglect. DFPS administers a variety of programs ranging from child protection to child-care licensing and adult protective services. Follow the Quick Links on the site to find information about:
    • Adoption
    • Texas child care (searchable database)
    • Reporting abuse and neglect of elderly adults
    • Teens, including the Texas Youth Hotline 1-800-98-YOUTH
    • Adults and children with disabilities

How to Find a Lawyer:

  • Texas Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service: Call 1-800-252-9690
  • Texas Law Help is your one-stop, online resource for free and low-cost civil legal assistance for those who cannot afford legal help. Learn about your rights, self-help resources, and legal aid.
  • The Family Law Hotline, at (800) 777-3247, is a nonprofit organization specializing in family law.
  • Texas Lawyers Care is a program of the State Bar of Texas, which assists people who cannot afford a lawyer. Texas Lawyers Care can be reached by calling the State Bar at (800) 204-2222.

How to Find a Therapist:

  • You can conduct an online search for a qualified therapist at the therapist locator website, which is a public service of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
  • For faith-based guidance, you can call the church or synagogue of your choice.
  • Inquire with your health insurance provider for a list of licensed “Marriage and Family Therapists,” “Psychologists,” “Social Workers” or “Psychotherapists.”

How to Find a Mediator: offers a number of articles addressing both general and specialized topics regarding mediation. Includes a database for locating a professional mediator by area, specialization, or name.

Information for Step Families:

For Help in Receiving Child Support Payments:

  • Call the Texas Attorney General Child Support Enforcement Office at 1-800-252-8014 (toll-free)
  • Apply online at The Texas Attorney General’s website and click on the Child Support tab
  • Your county may also have a Domestic Relations Office, which may be able to help you with child support and visitation services. Check your county website, or your local telephone directory.

For Help with Child Access and Visitation Issues:

  • Call the Access and Visitation Hotline: 1-866-292-4636, Mon – Fri, 1-7 P.M. The hotline is answered in both English and Spanish. Texas attorneys provide legal information about child custody, visitation, paternity and child support issues.
  • Visit the website to obtain legal forms, visitation letters and logs, and other tools for resolving custody or visitation concerns. This website is available in English and Spanish.

Important Note: Child support and visitation rights are separate issues. You and the child’s other parent must obey all court orders related to both of these issues. In other words, a parent cannot refuse to pay child support because the other parent is refusing visitation, and the custodial parent may not deny visitation to a non-custodial parent who fails to pay child support. This is illegal.